Your responsibilities

International students in Nottingham city centre

Your visa responsibilities

Your student visa comes with important conditions, restrictions and responsibilities. 

Visa conditions

When your visa is granted, check the decision letter, the entry clearance vignette (the sticker in your passport) and your biometric residence permit (BRP) when you receive it. Read these carefully and make sure you understand and follow any conditions included them this.

This can include:

  • the visa duration – when you can enter the UK and the date of your visa expiry

  • restrictions on working in the UK – degree level students are usually allowed to work 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during your vacation periods, while courses below degree level allow up to 10 hours per week, and students on visit or short-term study visas are not granted permission to work.

Police registration

Update on Police Registration - Repeal of requirement to register with the Police


From August 2022 the Home Office has repealed the requirement to register with the police. This change takes immediate effect and applies to those who have already registered with the police and those who have a condition to register with the police on their visa but who have not yet done so. You can read more about this and the answers to some FAQs in the Public Notice.

If you are new to Nottingham you may have been informed that you are required to register with the police on arrival in the UK. This may be stated on your entry clearance vignette (visa sticker) and/or in your visa decision letter. However, the requirement has been repealed and you will no longer need to do this. If you have an appointment booked, it will be cancelled.

If you have already registered and obtained a police registration certificate, you will have been told to inform the police of any changes to your details such as your address or new visa/passport, and to keep your certificate updated. As the requirement to register with the police has been repealed, you will no longer need to do this.

All students are advised to report changes to their address and personal details to the Home Office. You will no longer need to produce a police registration certificate on arrival at the UK border or provide it as a supporting document with any visa application you make. If you already have a certificate, you may wish to keep it for your own records. 

Who was previously required to register with the police?

For reference, the requirement to register with the police applied prior to August 2022 to Students and other visa holders from some countries, who were coming to the UK for more than six months. The list of nationalities (no longer appliccable) can be found in the Immigration Rules

Responsibilities to the university

 As a student visa holder, you have certain responsibilities while you are in the UK, under the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations. The university also has certain responsibilities as your immigration sponsor.

It is very important that you are aware of these responsibilities and comply with them as conditions of your stay in the UK. Failure to comply can lead to suspension or withdrawal from your course, and may affect your immigration status.

Your immigration responsibilities

  • Provide the university with your passport and visa or BRP so that we may take scans for our records

  • Keep your contact details in the UK up to date via the NottinghamHub, including any change of address

  • Register for your course on time each academic year –  see our guidance on late arrival if you may arrive late

  • Study while you are in the UK, keeping a good attendance on your course with no significant gaps or absences

  • Follow University processes if you decide to defer or suspend your studies or withdraw from your course

  • Return home if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or if your course is terminated

  • Follow the immigration rules if you change education provider, meaning you must make a new visa application

Our responsibilities as immigration sponsor

  • Take copies of your passport and visa or BRP and keep these recorded

  • Keep up-to-date records of your contact details, including any changes of address

  • Check your registration and report non-registration to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

  • Monitor your attendance and report unauthorised non-attendance to UKVI

  • Monitor any changes of status and report deferrals, suspensions, withdrawals and course terminations to UKVI

  • Notify UKVI of any significant changes in your circumstances, such as a change of course or successfully completing your course if this is earlier than expected

Changes to your study status

If you need to make any changes to your study plans, such as transferring to a different course, extending your study period, suspending your studies or withdrawing from the university, see our guidance on student status changes and implications for your student visa, to understand your responsibilities and the university's in these circumstances. 

Visa and Immigration Team

Book an appointment to meet with
an immigration adviser via video call

t: +44 (0)115 84 66125