Broaden your horizons
Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to travel, experience another academic environment, make new friends, immerse yourself in another culture and even learn a new language, as well developing career skills and a global outlook which will impress future employers.
Students who have studied or worked abroad often have a competitive advantage when entering the globalised workplace. They also develop an increased confidence as they settle into a new culture and adapt to a new academic setting.
It doesn't have to be expensive: depending on where you study or work you may find the cost of living significantly lower than the UK, and we offer a range of funding opportunities including reduced tuition fees, bursaries, scholarships, Erasmus funding, and an international work experience grant.
"One of the reasons I chose the University of Nottingham was for the huge number of study abroad opportunities they offered.
When I was accepted to study at the University of Western Australia for a year, I was over the moon. I travelled the east coast by myself, including the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney and Melbourne, and went to Bali twice!"
Sythey Russell, BSc Psychology
Explore your options
Here are just a few of your options at the University of Nottingham:
- choose a course with a year abroad included (at our international campuses or a partner university overseas)
- apply to take part in a student exchange through the Erasmus Programme (see below) or our University-wide exchange programme which offers study in Europe, Asia, North and South America, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- apply to study at our campuses in China and Malaysia for a semester, a year or through a summer school programme
- experience an overseas field trip on a select number of courses
- look for an overseas internship to gain insight and experience of global career opportunities
Erasmus+ and the Turing Scheme
The University of Nottingham will continue to participate in the Erasmus+ programme until its conclusion in 2022. We are working together with our partner institutions in Europe, so that incoming students can still be accommodated beyond 2022. There may be some changes to the range of placements available. Information on funding will be communicated soon.
The Turing scheme is the UK government’s global programme, providing funding for international opportunities in education and training. Details on eligibility and available funding will be published when available.
You can visit our online prospectus to find out what study abroad options are available for each course. If you have any questions, please get in touch.